Thursday, June 11, 2015

Story time. . .

I had just finished 'talk time' 
with my class of 4 year olds-- 

Since we had all been on holiday the previous week, I had asked them to talk about the various places they went, what they did, did they eat anything special, etc. 
and after they finished, I told them about my trip to Borneo and all of the wildlife and interesting creatures I encountered. I had some postcards I had brought back as well with pictures of underwater specimens. 
They were fascinated and full of questions. 
Suddenly, I looked up at the clock and realized that it was already time to go... 

"Alright everyone. Please put your books in your bags and line up. Time to go home!" They obediently did as I asked, but a couple seconds later, 
I heard a voice from the corner of the room. 

"Teacher Kellie, 
I cannot put my book in my bag." 

Trying to foster independence and autonomy, I say, "Sure you can! It's easy. I know you can do it." 

The child shakes his head.

"How come?"

"There is a lizard inside my bag."

I laugh. Serves me right for telling such young children about Komodo dragons and such. 

I pick up his bag and look inside. 
Nothing at all.

"Oh. . . there's no lizard in your bag, nothing to worry about," 
I say in a calming voice.

The child just blinks at me, 
but doesn't move a muscle.

"It's just your imagination! See..."

I turn the backpack upside down and shake it. 

A huge lizard drops to the ground and runs around the room causing an effect 
similar to a strike in bowling. 

Screaming, chaos ensues.

Ahhh.. 
The hazards of living in a tropical climate.

No comments:

Post a Comment