Sunday, September 13, 2015

perhentian perspective: part 1

When I decided to come to Singapore, 
I had a couple of seeds planted in the back of my mind. . . 

- to go to every corner of Malaysia/ Singapore and shoot travel/food segments 

- to come up with an idea for 
and shoot another film

And, because (as anyone who knows me well knows),  I am a bit of an over-achiever and am impatient with myself sometimes, in the past month or so, I've felt a bit like, "What am I doing here? I'm not getting anywhere... I need to be acting in something right this minute!"

. . . but now that I am on Perhentian Kecil, the most blissed out island imaginable, I've been able to slow down and get some perspective. Truly, it's like lucid dreaming. No, shamans or ayahuasca necessary. 

I've realized that subconsciously, I actually have been working steadily on what I set out to do --- chipping away bit by bit, like a sculptor. 

Julia Cameron talks a lot about this idea in "The Artist's Way" series, how we all want to see results of our labour immediately, but, especially in the case of a project of greater scope, it simply doesn't work that way. We can't speed up the creative process, nor would it be wise to try to do so. 

And, what am I talking about, I haven't done anything? I've been making plenty of friends well connected in the Singapore food scene who are open to video projects, I was granted permission to adapt a novel set in Malaysia and Singapore into a screenplay and shoot it, and I've taken four eye-opening trips to Malaysia in a span of a few months. I've done more research than I ever expected to, and I've been able to scout locations as well. AND. . . the film idea has arrived.(As well as the location!)

There is a lot to be said for being in a peaceful place with no distractions.


more about Perhentian paradise soon. . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment